Friday 7 August 2020

Friday 07/08/2020

On Wednesday 05/08/2020 I joined CP and AJG in a very nice trip to Oare Marshes. It was very pleasant change to actually be able to see 100s of waders without peeping over fences and peering through vegetation. The Bonaparte's Gull shoed quite well in the Black-headed Gull roost, Many Redshank and Lapwing were roosting and feeding, along with smaller numbers of Avocets, Golden Plover, Dunlin, Whimbrel, and Common Snipe. The Black-tailed Godwit flock was as usual quite spectacular, I would guess in the region of 700+ though I'm probably way off the mark,  a good number of them seem to be sporting a variety of combinations of colour rings, just as well I took the wrong scope with me otherwise the CP & AJG would have had to drag me away to stop me spending all day trying to get the colour sequence. It was a pleasure to actually be able to sit in the hide and view the birds, everyone was behaving responsibly and surprise surprise every one has survived the experience so far. It is an excellent reserve that I would thoroughly recommend to anyone, as a bonus in this hot weather there is plenty of free fresh spring water to drink.
Reed Warbler at Galloways probably a local bird
Early this morning at Galloways10+ Wheatears were were the only signs of migrants. Common and Lesser Whitethroats, Stonechats and Meadow Pipits that were seen were probably all summer residents.
As it was so hot today I cycled back to Galloways this afternoon, where I took my first dip of the year in the sea which was surprisingly warm, It was so nice I spent nearly 2 hours there most of the time in the sea. 
Stonechat
Lesser Whitethroat

Wheatear fly catching on the guard house 
Sedge Warbler
In a lunchtime amble down the track opposite my house I came across a Sedge Warbler and several Reed Warblers, once again probably summer residents.
 Reed Warbler
I'm guessing the Stilt, Garganey and Black-necked Grebe are all still present on the ARC, though I've not heard anything today, it was probably too hot for any of the locals too bother too look. 

No comments:

Post a Comment