Sunday 8 June 2014

The Sky Is On Fire!

First thing this morning I wandered down Culver Lane opposite Plodland. There were a minimum of 3 pairs of Yellow Wagtails in the cereal fields, several each of Reed Warblers and Reed Bunting singing in the ditches, the usual splendid male Marsh Harrier being harried by the countless Corvids.
A visit to the observatory was uninspiring bird wise but the Moths were interesting, I dare say before long I will be converted and invest in a Moth trap.
I then spent a few hours cycling around Walland Marsh where I was pleasantly surprised by the number of Lesser Whitethroats singing, they seemed almost numerous, Common Whitethroats were plentiful and 3 Blackcaps were heard. I came across 6 Turtle Doves in 4 different locations, Tree Sparrows in the usual spots, 6 singing Yellowhammers, 2 Corn Buntings, a Great Spotted Woodpecker, 2 Common Buzzards and 2 Marsh Harriers.
Arriving back at Plodland early afternoon all I was fit for was relaxing in a sun chair sky watching for raptors and snapping some unwelcome and welcome guests on one of my feeders. The only raptors seen, were the usual Marsh Harriers and a Common Buzzard while I was awake.    
 No wonder my feeder empties so quickly!!!
 Waiting for the Rooks to spill the Sun flower seeds!
 A more welcome visitor!
This evening I went back out onto Walland Marsh looking for Owls but took the car this time. A Barn Owl showed well and I found 5 different Little sites, I like to think the images of the Little Owls have an aesthetic quality rather than record shots! The hoped for LEOs didn't materialise in the areas I had thought likely but I will try again. 



A fiery sunset over Walland Marsh tonight!

1 comment: