Tuesday 14 May 2013

Green Winged Teal gives the run around again

The elusive and flighty Green Winged Teal an hayfield 1 this morning
Another cold blustery day but mercifully the rain held of until this afternoon. First thing as I was scanning the south end of the ARC for the Green Winged Teal, I got a message that it was on Hayfield 1. I parked at Springfield Bridge and made my way to the hayfield, seeing on the way A Hobby and a Raven. On arrival the the duck was visible among the sedges, while walking up to the top of the field where other observers were watching it the duck for no apparent reason flew off towards Hookers. From the viewpoint 3+ Hobby's were over the reed beds looking for food and the Bittern was booming regularly. I had walk around the back of Hookers with DW looking for the duck but no sign and not a great deal else was seen there or on my walk back to the car.
At Scotney despite walking the length of it the only bird of note was a Whimbrel.
An hour sheltering in the Visitor Centre this afternoon with SB, KS et al was entertaining for the banter, a summer plumage Sanderling on one of the tiny exposed islands and a good number of Swifts over the lake. From Dennis's hide the pair of Scaup were distant and many more Swifts were over the causeway.
The Green Winged Teal was again found on Hayfield 1 late afternoon but flew off as I made my way there. With the rain starting to get heavier I thought better of looking for it, especially as i had no protection for my camera, so I made my back to the car and home.
As I write this a Hobby is still sitting on a fence post opposite my garden in the rain and wind, it has been there for at least 2 hours! I hope I don't find a corpse in the morning as it must be really struggling to find food.

No comments:

Post a Comment