Tuesday 15 May 2012

Black Kite

With a cold north wind blowing in very heavy hail and rain showers, the sea was once again unproductive. In a 30 minute sea watch there were a few Gannets and Common Terns off shore, 6 Common Scoter moved east, also a Common Seal and 2 Harbour Porpoises off shore.
At the back of the hide on the power station wall a Black redstart trying to gather enough insects to feed its young. Nearby 2 male Wheatears displaying.

With seemingly no new migrants on The Point I went to the south end of the ARC Pit which held 2 Little Ringed Plovers and scores of Swifts hawking over the causeway and the pits. From there I moved on to the reserve where the car park was empty. Many more Swifts and a few each of Swallow, House and Sand Martin hawking over Burrowes Pit but little else of note. At Christmas Dell the Lesser Whitethroat still singing along with Common Whitethroats, Reed, Sedge and Cetti's Warblers. At Dengemarsh hide met MH and RP who were on there way out trying to dodge to weather. Once inside the hide the heavens opened and for the next half hour I was marooned there. The new Tern raft seems to be success by attracting more Terns and 2 Marsh Harriers braved the deluge. On the return trail 2 Hobby's and 2 Cuckoo's but little else of note.
Back at the ARC Pit half hour in Hanson Hide having lunch and seeing little. As I was walking back to the car park a large raptor passed me. Initially I ignored it assuming it was a Marsh Harrier I lifted my bins and **** Black Kite. I watched it flying towards Lydd before I put my brain in gear and lifted my camera, hence the very poor heavily cropped images. After dashing to Cockles Bridge to see if I could see it again I went back to Boulderwall Farm, where fortunately an RSPB working party had also seen the Kite.
Another half hour spent at the Water Tower hoping the Kite might come back found up to 6 Hobby's hawking over the pits.
Very poor heavily cropped image of a Black Kite

No comments:

Post a Comment