Friday 15 March 2024

15/03/2024

  A much quieter sea watch this morning probably due to the poor visibility and rain.

06.45-09.00 with TW,TH, DW, OL, RW from the sea watch hide, Wind SW 6 Temp 11° 

Brent Goose: 92E        9W
Common Scoter: 85E     
Great-crested Grebe: present n/c
Oystercatcher: 1E
Kittiwake: 13E       2W
Black-headed Gull: 9E     
Mediterranean Gull: 5E 
Common Gull: 11E
Great Black-backed Gull:  present n/c
Herring Gull: present n/c
Lesser Black-backed Gull: 2E
Sandwich Tern: 9E     1W
Guillemot: 31E   2W     
Auk sp: 28E    12W       
Red-throated Diver: 37E    6W 
Fulmar: 3E      3W
Gannet: 187E    42W
Cormorant:  present n/c
Peregrine: 1 
Harbour Porpoise: 2
Grey Seal: 1

After breakfast I took a stroll around the muddy tracks of the hay fields to Dengemarsh Hide. A Great White Egret jumped out of the old pump site, also a pair of Bearded Tits there. On hayfield 3 a Wigeon, Teal, Gadwall, Mallard, 2 Pintail and some Shelduck but no sign of any hoped for Garganey, a Raven with a full crop flew over towards its nest site. As I reached hayfield 2, 2 Water Pipits jumped out of the long grass calling and gave me the usual view that I've been getting (see image below) From Dengemarsh hide a Black-necked Grebe still present also the 2 female Goldeneye but little else of note,
The typical view I've been getting of the Water Pipits as they fly off to another field
On my back home for lunch I spotted an alba Wagtail in one of the Lydd Fields
After lunch heading for the beach the Glossy Ibis flew over the road and into the horse paddock, as I reached the estate entrance a message from DW that he had found a Wheatear behind the fishing boats, a few minutes later I was there but found no sign, this was no doubt due to my incompetence as a little time later RW went there and found 2 Wheatears, mean while I was in Hanson hide looking at a distant Great Northern Diver and Black-throated Diver. On returning to my car I drove back to the fishing boats where I managed to find both of the Wheatears, while there a pair of Egyptian Geese came in and landed by Mr T, I was more pleased to see these as I believe they are the first ones I have seen on the ground at the fishing boats.
My first Wheatears of 2024

Egyptian Geese behind the fishing boats by Mr T
 

No comments:

Post a Comment