Sunday 9 July 2023

Marsh Sandpiper

Marsh Sandpiper
Yesterday morning after another tedious sea watch I went to Hanson Hide, on opening the flaps I could see a small flock of Redshanks which were new in, getting myself settled I started to scan the flock with my scope an immediately spotted a smaller paler wader among them, first thought was Greenshank but immediately dismissed it due to size, which only left Marsh Sandpiper. With a little panic setting in I doubled checked the bird, size between Redshank and Wood Sandpiper, needle straight thin bill, long green grey legs, slight supercillium and blackish spots on its back making it an adult, happy with the identification I put the news out. 
Marsh Sandpiper with Redshanks
Marsh Sandpiper, Redshanks and Lapwing
Marsh Sandpiper chased by Lapwing
Marsh Sandpiper, Redshank, Black-tailed Godwit and Lapwing
Marsh Sandpiper, Redshank, Black-tailed Godwit and Lapwing
Common Sandpipers
Greenshank with juvenile Redshank
Satellite tagged eclipse drake Garganey still present

Cattle Egret at Boulderwall

No comments:

Post a Comment