Saturday 19 November 2022

19/11/2022

The best I could manage of the Brambling in the rain
As it was a light NW wind and a dreary old day today, I decided on walk down Dengemarsh Gully and the open shingle around the back of the transformer station, in my search for a rare Wheatear which as as I expected ended in failure. A singles of Dartford Warbler, Song Thrush, Water Rail, Black Redstart, a few Skylarks and a couple of Ravens were about the all I saw in 3 hours there.
I checked the Lydd Fields for the Whooper Swans and failed to find them, but I did find a flock of c150 Chaffinches that contained a single smart male Brambling, which was very difficult to photograph in the rain and disappearing in the furrows.
I have checked Scotney  on number of occasions hoping to find some wild Grey geese without success.
As the ARC fills up with the rain it seems to be losing its attractiveness to Gulls, almost other birds, though at least one of the Kingfishers remains as does the 2 Glossy Ibis. I have only checked Burrowes  from Dennis's Hide just lately, so there maybe something lurking at the other end I have not seen, nor anyone else in the poor weather, with no dry or sheltered viewing facilities.
Juvenile Marsh harrier at Scotney yesterday
Only 3 Barnacle Geese at Scotney, where are the rest of the feral flock?
 Single dark bellied Brent at Scotney among the feral geese
Kingfisher from Hanson

5 comments:

  1. Lovely photos. There was a white fronted goose at scotney.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There has been a single White-fronted Goose with the Greylags all year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete