Wednesday 12 January 2022

12/01/2022

Bewick Swans leaving the ARC at 07.38 this morning viewed from the garden
I joined RW in wander down to The Patch this morning where a 1w Little Gull was showing nicely, we also picked out a 1w and a 2w Caspian Gull neither of which hung around, 5 Gadwall flew west, a single Common Scoter went East and a few Red-throated Divers and Auks were toing and froing. Once again the 2w Iceland Gull didn't show.
Jack Snipe at The Long Pits very little else was seen in my walk up there.
1 of 2 Dartford Warblers around the peninsula today, this one was courtesy of a message from DB.
1 of 5 Ruff in the flooded field at Dengemarsh, but again no Geese. 
I spent the afternoon on Lydd Ranges to make the most of the lovely weather and light. After a long walk out along the green wall I made myself comfortable in the hope that a Short-eared Owl would be out hunting. While waiting a couple of Ravens were seen along with 2 Marsh Harriers, a Common Buzzard, a Little Egret, 3 Stonechats, a Grey Plover, a few Redshank and 1,000s of distant Lapwing and Golden Plover. After about an hour a I spotted a distant Short-eared Owl, a few minutes later another appeared and started hunting towards me giving superb views in perfect light.



Surveying its domain
Diving for Voles

This second bird kept its distance

No comments:

Post a Comment