Wednesday 22 December 2021

22/12/2021

A bitterly cold sea watch this morning, the obvious highlight being the Slavonian Grebe that flew in and settled by the bouy. (only the second one I've seen this year) 
Before going home for breakfast I stopped at Cockles Bridge where the 3 Cattle Egrets were still feeding in the horse paddocks, then I joined CT at the dung heap where the Bean Geese could be seen with some White-fronts, although I did not see the Pink-footed Goose it was still present per CT & RW  also at least 2 Great Egrets there.
After a quick coffee and scrambled eggs I went to Scotney where another 16 White-fronts were grazing by the puddles on the sward with the Greylags, Barnacles, Canada's and a couple of Brent Geese. There were 100s of Wigeon on the lake and a Green Sandpiper geeing along the far bank, but no sign of yesterdays reported Slavonian Grebe on any of the lakes.
White-fronted Geese
White-fronts with Barnacle Geese
A very obliging White-front
As I was driving towards the ARC I spotted 8 Swans flying quite high that definitely were not Mute Swans, my apologies the occupants of the car behind me as I swerved up onto the verge to get the Swans in the binoculars, I was fairly sure they were Bewick Swans and fortunately they seemed to go down onto the ARC allowing me to get there and confirm the identification.
Bewick Swans on the ARC this afternoon

This afternoon on the reserve on Burrowes Pit 2 1w Caspian Gulls were the highlight, another look late afternoon at Galloways failed to see any Short-eared Owls.



 

1 comment:

  1. Merry Xmas to you Great Photos of the WF GEESE and Bewicks keep on doing it cheers
    Chris f

    ReplyDelete