Friday 10 December 2021

10/12/2021

I was up well before dawn this morning, not realising just how cold and strong the North West wind was, so when I went out to the car I did an about turn and had a nice cooked breakfast and more coffee and did some domestic stuff. It was still bitterly cold when I ventured out to the reserve, where to my dismay last nights heavy rain on top of all the rest of this weeks rain had submerged 2 more of the Gull islands, the rest being taken over by Cormorants, in 2 visits to Dennis's  today I did not find a single Caspian or Yellow-legged Gull, nor any colour ringed Great Black-backed Gulls, the highlight for me was colour ringed Cormorant, which I'm still trying to find the owner of the scheme.
Around the peninsula there are still at least 4 Great Egrets, at least 2 Cattle Egrets, the usual Little Egrets, the 2 Ibis, 5+ Goldeneye but little else. It's looking like 2021 will be the first calendar year on record without a Smew being recorded, though I'm ever hopefull the last half of the month will surprise me.
I very rarely twitch birds, but it is very frustrating because of a mixture Brexit and Covid, I can't just jump in the car and go through the Chunnel to Calais and twitch the lovely juvenile Ross's Gull at Dunquerque, which I believe is now there for its 5th day. It is only 67miles as the Gull flies from Dungeness.
The 2 Glossy Ibis can still be seen regularly around Cooks Pool
At least 2 Cattle Egrets still hanging around, these ones in the Horse Paddocks

The Little Egrets are also enjoying the Horse Padocks at the moment

A Kittiwake checking out the bread offerings this afternoon
The Polish Black-headed Gull has been the first in the bread queue the last couple of days
 

No comments:

Post a Comment