Thursday 15 July 2021

15/07/2021

AJG did an early morning sea watch this morning 06.00-08.00
Common Scoter: 8E
Gannet: 7W
Whimbrel: 1W
Mediterranean  Gull: 3W
Sandwich Tern: 8W
Common Tern: 21W
Rather poor return for the effort of getting up early, though this watch is not as bad as some of the watches of late. AJG did another 2 hour watch this afternoon the highlight being a single  Bonxie that flew East.
With the sea watching being so poor and being battered by the winds and soaked in the rain due to lack of shelter on the reserve, I lost my mojo, so I've been spending time getting domestic stuff done, decorating etc. I did venture to the reserve the other evening going in from Springfield Bridge, straight away my heart sunk as I realised they had put the tractor mower in Dengemarsh Flood taking out at least 1 Yellow Wagtails nest and probably several Meadow Pipits nests, you'd think the RSPB would know better, not content with the flood they also did the hayfields. I didn't see any any Lapwing chicks fledge in the hay fields due to predation and not helped by the weather, also I didn't see any Redshank chicks, then I find all the Common Terns were allowed to be predated by the Herring Gulls through lack of a little management. I'm not advocating killing the Herring Gulls, just move them on as soon as they attempt to nest on some of the islands and Tern rafts. What is the point of encouraging the Terns to nest in the knowledge that they will lose their breeding season due to a couple of pairs of Herring Gulls that will happily nest elsewhere. 
Stoat in Dengemarsh Flood

Red Fox in the ARC car park
It would seem that the Glossy Ibis has left, though I'm hoping that it may be feeding in a secluded ditch or fishing lake. The pair of Hobby's are still around Dengemarsh as are a few Great White Egrets and a single Cattle Egret, a few Green Sandpipers have been around the hay fields but little else of note. The first young Willow Warbler of the autumn was in in a private garden this morning.
At Scotney the 100s of feral geese are still in residence, 2 Avocets were roosting on Herring Gull Island.
This female Sparrowhawk took out a young Starling and devoured it in my neighbours garden
The pair of Yellow Wagtails in the fields opposite my house managed to raise 2 young despite the nest being sprayed with God knows what by the farmer twice.

Peach Blossom only the second one that has found its way into my trap
 A very fresh Gem

No comments:

Post a Comment