Tuesday 20 April 2021

20/04/2021

Eider drifting past in the fog

When I left home a few minutes before 06.00 I could barely see across the road due to the dense fog but I drove to The point anyway, as on occasions the fog clears as I reach the sea, but not today not until 15.45 when Terns and Skuas started to stream by, whether they had been doing this all day I guess I'll never know but I was very pleased to see my first Pomarine Skuas of the year.
Most birds were between 15.45-18.30
06.00-18.30
Eider: 3W 2 drake and a duck all adult drifted west along the shore line 
Common Scoter: 20E       4W
Red-breasted Merganser: 1E female
Great-crested Grebe: 6 around
Fulmar: 1E
Gannet: 142E
Cormorant: 205E
Oystercatcher:10E    1W
Grey Plover: 1E
Whimbrel: 15E
Bar-tailed Godwit: 4E
Kittiwake: 2E
Mediterranean Gull: 2W
Sandwich Tern: 207E
Common Tern: 805E
Great: Skua: 3E
Pomarine Skua: 2E
Arctic Skua: 11E
Guillemot: 3E
Auk sp: 3E   1W
Merlin: 1E female type
Harbour Porpoise: 12+
News from the reserve that there was a male Brambling visiting the feeders found by MH, 2 Greenshank and a couple of Yellow Wagtails around the hay fields per SM, a Cuckoo at the ARC per PB, a rather poor showing for the 3rd week of April.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Martin, can you no longer sea watch from the fishing boats

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ken, Yes you can still watch from the fishing boats but in spring the birds are usually much further out there, so it is better to watch from by the sea watching hide.

      Delete
    2. Hi Martin 😊😄😄😊😊😄 come to sandwich with me

      Delete