Saturday 25 July 2020

Saturday 25/07/2020

I was a little late getting to the fishing boats this morning:
05.40-07.40 courtesy of JY, CP & AJG:
Common Scoter: 65W     19E
Great-crested Grebe: 2 o/s
Fulmar: 2W
Manx Shearwater: 1W
Gannet: 68W     24E
Cormorant: 8E
Ringed Plover: 2W
Dunlin: 1W
Whimbrel: 2W
Kittiwake: 8W
Mediterranean Gull: 2W
Little Tern: 1W
Common Tern: 112E.    39W
Sandwich Tern: 19W
Auk sp: 2E
Harbour Porpoise: 8+
Grey Seal: 1
A quick stop on the causeway on my back home for breakfast saw the Black-winged Stilt happily feeding in from of Hanson Hide. A quick count of Pochard got to 558 but there was large areas I could not see, also 100s of Sand martins hawking over the lake.
Adult male Marsh Harrier hunting the fields in front of my house
By late morning there was drizzle in the air so I checked out the fields in front of my house. There were many Sand Martins and a few Swallows hawking over the fields, the 5 members of the Corn Bunting Family were feeding along the track as were 14 Yellow Wagtails, a few Reed Buntings and 3 Skylarks. In the ditches Reed Warblers are still rattling out their song and a lone Sedge Warbler is still singing while Grey Heron stalks along the bank grabbing a Marsh Frog occasionally. The hedge around the football field is full of House Sparrows at the moment and attracting the attention of the local Sparrowhawk, which dived at full speed head long into the hedge and came out with its unfortunate quarry, it is amazing that the Sparrowhawks don't injure themselves in these attacks, there were at least 8 Greenfinches in the hedge as well.
By the time I had gone through last nights poor catch in my moth trap the rain had arrived, with no hides to sit in I spent the afternoon trying to identify many images of micro moths I have taken this year, that is still an ongoing job.
As I sit here typing 19.00 hrs the rain has stopped and the a little bit of brightness is shining through, I really should go out to see what birds the rain has dropped onto the lakes, but the reserve is so unwelcoming and frustrating not being able to view the lakes, I really can't be doing with the bother of having to park in lay by on the main road and trudge across the shingle to get poor views of Burrowes and the ARC, I doubt anyone else will either.   

2 comments:

  1. Is it the fear I wonder that if the hides are reopened that responsible birders won’t social distance? It’s a thin line but when can common sense be allowed to prevail and sensible policies be applied for the enjoyment of our hobby? Masks in shops so why not in hides monitored if necessary and cleaning if necessary? Perhaps I am a chancer but I like to think not and I don’t want to be a bank climber.. I just don’t know the answer but am visiting other sites consequentially despite my love and leaning to a reserve I have enjoyed for forty years Hmmph!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think social distancing would be a problem as it is almost second nature to us now. I would be prepared to use a mask in a hide the same as I would have to on a bus or train the latter 2 not having the ventilation or social distancing afforded by most hides. If you close trails on social distancing grounds then just about every footpath/pavement in the UK should be closed.

    ReplyDelete