Monday 30 March 2020

BWKM0 Monday 30/03/2020

 Chaffinch with foot fungus waiting its for the feeder
As is usual the feeders are busy first thing in the morning with raucous Starlings, fighting House Sparrows, timid Blue Tits, agile Great Tits nipping in grabbing a Sunflower Heart then back deep into a bush to consume its prize, patient Goldfinches waiting there turn, very skittish Greenfinches(only 4 of them), under the feeders Dunnocks, Chaffinches, Collared Doves, Wood Pigeons, Feral Pigeons sometimes a Robin, sadly rarely a Blackbird in my garden usually only at dusk and dawn, one of the Rooks has learnt to cling on to the feeder but spills more than it eats, around 09.00 the garden birds seem to melt away with just the occasional coming and going. 
 1 of c10 Goldfinches that are visiting my feeders at the moment
Grey Heron on its way to the ditches after feeding its young in Lydd Heronry
It was a relatively warm start to the morning, though the NE wind soon picked up seeming to coincide with the mass arrival of farm machinery in the fields opposite, they seem to kick up huge amounts of dust that covers our cars and houses. Today they brought in 100s of Gulls of 7 species.
At least 6 Mediterranean Gulls were attracted by the ploughs, harrows and drills

 Mediterranean Gulls

Common Gull
One of several Common Buzzards over today. probably just local birds
I'd been scanning the skies and fields for most the day when a call from a very excited Owen Leyshon telling me(I couldn't possibly use his exact words) a White-tailed Eagle flew over his house and was now circling over the Church which is apparently 2.7 miles in a straight line from my house. Fortunately I was already on my small balcony with my scope set up, after what seemed a very long time and panic setting in I spotted the Eagle with 2 Common Buzzards appearing to harry it from above, I then started to make calls to the locals, at least 3 of which connected with it. Not the greatest of views but Wow it certainly got the adrenalin flowing. Again many thanks to Owen for the prompt call. 
Very late afternoon a party of 8 Gadwall flew over heading for Scotney bringing my BWKM0 total so far to 57.  

1 comment: