Tuesday 11 February 2020

Tuesday 11/02/2020

 Drifts of wrecked shellfish
Millions of Clams
As a change today I parked at the Lifeboats Station this morning and walked along the beach to the fishing boats and back. The strand line was covered with millions of dead shellfish washed up by storm Ciara.
Filling buckets with the dead shellfish
The Gulls had been enjoying but were constantly disturbed by some people collecting buckets full of it, literally filling their cars with it.
One of many long trudges back and forth across the shingle to fill there car
There were many Gulls off shore constantly dipping and picking up many more floating shellfish, little else appeared to be moving, as I made the return leg back to my car, my eyes were watering so much in the constant westerly gale that I saw very little.
Dungeness Lifeboat on exercises today
Turnstone at the fishing boats
12.00-13.00 from the fishing boats:
Red-throated Diver: 1W
Great-crested Grebe: 1W
Fulmar: 3W  1E
Gannet: :23W   2E
Cormorant: c1,000 o/s
Turnstone: 7 on beach
Kittiwake: 31W
Black-headed Gull: 1,000s o/s
Common Gull: 100s o/s
Herring Gull: 100s o/s
Great Black-backed Gulls: 100s o/s
Guillemot: 22W
Razorbill: 1W
Auk sp: 31W  3E
I went home for a late lunch and mug of tea, next thing I knew my tea was cold and it was late afternoon! definitely getting old.

No comments:

Post a Comment