Sunday 19 January 2020

Sunday 19/01/2020

07:30-09:00 from the sea watch hide AJG kindly sent me these sightings:
Red-throated Diver: 27E
Gannet: 49 W
Cormorant: present n/c
Kittiwake: 71E
Black-headed Gull: present n/c
Common Gull: present n/c
Herring Gull: present n/c
Great Black-backed Gull: present n/c
Auk sp: 705E
The Patch was again disappointing with barely a ripple at the boil, several 100s of Herring Gull, Black-headed Gulls and Cormorants present there but the best I could find among them was an adult Mediterranean Gull and a Kittiwake.
Another hike around the back of the ARC saw little of note.
Scanning the fields from home I located 8 Ruff and a single Curlew among the 100s, of Golden Plover, Lapwing and Wigeon, a flock of c40 Stock doves were feeding among them, I saw at least 3 Common Buzzards, but strangely no Marsh Harriers or Egrets though 3 Grey Herons were in the ditches.
At Scotney I could only find the adult female Long-tailed Duck from the double bends, I think the other 4 may fly over the rear bank into the easternmost back lake. The usual Golden Plovers and Lapwings and a single Ruff were seen as well as the usual feral Geese.
The drake Smew was on Tanners Pool, 2 colour ringed Herring Gulls were the highlight for me on Burrowes this afternoon.
In this evenings Harrier count 5 Marsh Harriers roosted in my reed bed, the adult male Hen Harrier made a flyby appearance on its way to roost on the ranges, of note Great Spotted Woodpecker flew over the reed bed and 2 Brent Geese were in a a neighbouring field. As darkness fell 21 bugling/barking Bewick Swans flew over me heading towards the reserve, almost drowning out the at least 5 Water Rails that were squealing.

No comments:

Post a Comment