Saturday 16 November 2019

Owls!

Another very dull day but at least it was dry
07.30-09.00 from the sea watch hide, RW,OL and AJG who collated the numbers
Brent Goose: 7W
Wigeon: 2W
Common Scoter: 3W
Red-throated Diver: 7W    9E
Gannet 211 up
Cormorant: 520E from Rye bay into Lade Bay
Oystercatcher: 3E
Great Skua: 1E
Sandwich Tern: 1E
Razorbill: 3W
Auk sp: 10W
Starling: 1 flock of 150 in
A quick look around The Point found a Dartford Warbler of note which disappeared into a private garden. The drive home for breakfast saw a Great White Egret at the Southern end of the ARC and 2 Marsh Harriers over the causeway.
A wander along the cycle path at Scotney. found despite my intensive scrutiny of all the feral Geese, nothing unusual. 5 Ruff, 7 Redshank, 4 Curlew, c50 Golden Plover among the many Lapwing. On the main lake at least 70 Mallard which seems unusually high number, a single drake Pintail among them, also many Wigeon and a few Shoveler, no sign again of the Long-tailed Duck.
As I drove past Dengemarsh a Merlin zipped across the road, the Gully was an avian free zone. 3 dogs and their owner saved me the trouble of walking out to switching station.
Early afternoon at the reserve saw 2 Great White Egrets at Boulderwall, while Burrowes was disappointing.
Early afternoon at the fishing boats I joined RW where 4 Red-throated Divers flew West, 2 Razorbills and half a dozen Kittiwakes lingered off shore with a few Gannets. As i drove away from the boats a Woodcock came in off the sea and across the beach to The Desert like a rocket.
Mid afternoon I walked out onto Lydd Ranges accessed from Galloways to hopefully see if any Hen Harriers came into roost. As soon as I got to my chosen view point got comfortable and set my scope up I picked out a Short-eared Owl quartering the rough grass land, then a male Merlin dashed through landing on a distant fence post, a Common Buzzard came over the pines and settled on one of the armoured cars used for target practise, next sweep of the scope and there were 2 Short-eared Owls over the rough field. A few minutes later and there were what I thought at first were 3 Short-eared Owls, until I realised one of them was in fact a Long-eared Owl. It is many years since I saw a daytime hunting Long-eared Owl, though it was very dull and overcast this afternoon. I watched the LEO hunting for several minutes when it dropped into the grass out of sight, I had another scan around and this time there were definitely 3 Short-eared Owls, as I watched these hunting they joined by the LEO, all thoughts of my watching out for Hen Harriers were gone as I enjoyed the Owls for the rest of the afternoon. As the light faded the Owls seemed to disappear or were too distant to see, but the pale shape of Barn Owl came into view.
Many thanks to Paul for for finding my mobile phone which I had left on the car roof before walking out onto the ranges. I have already lost at least 3 like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment