Thursday 3 January 2019

Home Watch!

As I have been laid up for the last week and probably for another couple of weeks, I have spent a lot of time bird watching from home. In the last 3 days I have managed to see 46 species, including daily views of all 3 Egret species, Marsh Harriers, Peregrine, Common Buzzards, Ruff and  Golden Plovers, 3 Bewick Swans on the 1st were flushed by lycra wearing cyclists who seem to think they can take their mountain bikes where ever they like. Todays highlight was the Pink-footed Goose in among the Greylag flock, also a minimum of 10 Egyptian Geese. I don't do that well for normal garden birds for example Long-tailed Tit seen once in 8 yrs, Coal Tit, Treecreeper and Nuthatch are unheard of, and still waiting for my first Firecrest.
It would seem at the moment I am missing a sea fest at the moment at the fishing boats with 1,000s of Guillemots, Razorbills, Gannets, Great-crested Grebes, Cormorants and 100s of Red-throated Divers feeding close inshore per AJG, MH & DW. Hopefully I'll be back down there soon.
View south from Plodland over the reserve to the lighthouses and power station
View East from Plodland to Cockles Bridge and the Water Tower
One of a regular party of 6 Greenfinches today
Even the Starlings look good in the sun


3 comments:

  1. It is a real pleasure reading your blog, thank you for taking the time to write it. I hope you are out and about soon, best wishes for 2019

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you are up and about soon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you are well soon and back out again Missed your help when I visited yesterday. HNY Martin

    ReplyDelete