Wednesday 5 December 2018

Auks Galore!

It is a Puffin!
Around 09.30 the weather was beginning to clear up and I was getting ready to go out when I got a call from Richard telling me a Black Guillemot was just offshore from the fishing boats, I arrived shortly after but it had flown off West. Grrrr! All was not lost, as I set up my scope a superb adult male Long-tailed Duck flew West along with good numbers of Auks, we were soon joined by DW and MH and were treated to one of the most entertaining sea watches I have had at Dungeness including 7 Puffins which was a Dungeness tick for me.
10.0-15.00 from the fishing boats with RW, MH & DW:
Brent Goose: 4E    7W
Gadwall: 2W
Teal: 6W
Wigeon: 4W
Common Scoter: 4E    3W
Velvet Scoter: 2W
Long-tailed Duck: 1W (adult winter plumage male)
Red-breasted Merganser: 3W
Goosander: 8W
Red-throated Diver: 34W    4E    4 around
Black-throated Diver: 1 around
Great Northern Diver: 1 around
Great-crested Grebe: 79 around
Fulmar: 1W
Gannet: 587W
Cormorant: 1,000+ around
Grey Plover: 1W
Oystercatcher: 2W
Turnstone: 10 on beach
Grey Phalarope: 1W 
Little Gull: 1W (1w bird)
Kittiwake: 346W
Mediterranean Gull: 2 around
Yellow-legged Gull: 2 around (1w + 2w)
Caspian Gull: 2 around (2 x 1w)?
Sandwich Tern: 1W
Puffin: 7W
Black Guillemot: 1W (RW only)
Guillemot: 673W
Razorbill: 168W
Auk sp: 266W
Harbour Porpoise: 1
Common Seal: 1
1w Caspian Gull (may have some Yellow-leg genes in it)
 Velvet Scoters
Late Sandwich Tern

No comments:

Post a Comment