Saturday 15 December 2018

A Chilly Sea Watch!

The 10 Bewick Swans spent the day in the rape and Kale at Cockles Bridge again, also the 3 Cattle Egrets were by Cooks Pool early morning.
 Adult Caspian Gull by the fishing boats
A very cold but rewarding 2 hr sea watch from the fishing boats 09.00-11.00: 
Common Scoter: 6W
Eider: 5W
Red-throated Diver: 14W
Great-crested Grebe: 4 around
Gannet: 1,023W
Cormorant: 1,000+W
Mediterranean Gull: 8W
Kittiwake: 1,285W
Caspian Gull: 1 adult around
Guillemot: 721W
Razorbill: 125W
Auk sp: 643W
I'm sure I must have missed loads of birds, if I had some company this morning the numbers would have been much higher.
 Probably the same group of Eider flew past Sandwich Bay this morning
 Many of the Gannets were over the beach
 Guillemot
 1 of the many 1w Kittiwakes that came along the beach

Fortunately this was the only one I saw with oil on it
Herring Gull SA2Z in the puddles
Late afternoon on the reserve with MP we managed to find 3 adult Yellow-legged Gulls in the appalling weather and light. 
Elsewhere the 2 Whooper Swans were still at the back of Scotney per SO.

1 comment:

  1. Hello there, I was planning to visit Scotney GP in the near future to see the two Whooper swan which have been reported there. However, I tried searching for directions and I know that it is somewhere along Jury's gap road but I can't find anything more specific than that. Is it possible that you could explain where to park and where the swans have been sighted? Thankyou in advance.

    ReplyDelete