Tuesday 30 October 2018

Rough-legged Buzzard!

Cold NW 5-7 with drizzle made for a somewhat slow watch. A drake Tufted Duck was quite unusual, also a Merlin c1mile off shore eventually caught a Finch/Pipit and returning to the beach with its prize.
07.00-09.00 from the fishing boats with AJG,OL,DS, CT
Brent Goose: 8E
Shelduck: 9E
Teal: 1E
Wigeon: 4E
Tufted Duck: 1W
Common Scoter: 2E
Red-throated Diver: 5E    1W    1on
Great-crested Grebe: 5+ around
Gannet: 176E
Cormorant: 320 flushed by range boat
Merlin: 1 around
Turnstone: 1 around
Dunlin: 15E
Mediterranean Gull: 4E
Kittiwake: 7E
Little Gull: 3E
Sandwich Tern: 9E
Guillemot: 6E
Razorbill: 1 around
Auk sp: 17E
Blackbird: 1 being chased by Merlin was eventually drowned by Great Black-backed Gull.
Harbour Porpoise: 2 around
A quick look at Boulderwall Fields as the rain set in saw at least 4 Cattle Egrets around the cattle.
As I was preparing to come back out, I received a call from Colin Turley telling me that a Rough-legged Buzzard was heading my way, I grabbed my binoculars and dashed outside, a quick scan enabled me to pick out the the bird being pursued by several Crows and watched them all disappear behind the Hookers Pit bushes. I quickly set my scope thinking I would see them come out the other side but they never reappeared. Colin was sure it had landed out in the fields but despite an extensive search by several locals it was not seen again until late afternoon, when it quickly disappeared again, so maybe it will show up again tomorrow. At least it is now on my garden list just.
1w Caspian Gull
 Back at the fishing boats this afternoon the sea was even quieter than this morning with very little off shore movement. A 1w Caspian Gull and an adult Yellow-legged Gull were the undoubted highlight.
 1w Caspian Gull


Adult Yellow-legged Gull

No comments:

Post a Comment