Monday 17 September 2018

Oleander Hawkmoth!

 Oleander Hawkmoth
As I looked through the perspex top of the MV this morning this beauty was clinging to the rim, even though I knew exactly what it was I still had to look in the book to check, even when I had extracted the moth I had to go on the internet double checking images making sure I had not made a mistake. It is without doubt the highlight of my short time mothing,  
 Cattle Egret having a bath in the ARC
In a short walk around The Desert I failed to see the long staying Wryneck though it was still present today, Stonechats seemed to be on every bush, with a Few Common Whitethroats and Chiffchaffs.
An hour at the fishing boats lunchtime saw 5 Arctic Skuas marauding through a feeding frenzy of Gannets, Sandwich Terns, Gulls and 10+ Harbour Porpoises, all the while a stream of c200 Swallows and c40 Sand Martins headed off to France.
From Hanson at the ARC this afternoon all 3 Egrets species, c50 Golden Plover, a Greenshank, 3 Dunlin, a Ruff, a Black-necked Grebe, 3 Black Terns and 7 Garganey. 
 Lapwing giving a Great white Egret a hard time
 Great White Egret from Hanson
 Clancy's Rustic over shadowed today, as was the Delicate below.


2 comments:

  1. So the Plodland MV trap is no longer disappointing!!
    Fabulous capture and well deserved Martin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bob. I'll have to say it is disappointing more often.

    ReplyDelete