Thursday 7 June 2018

Another Bee-eater!

The persistent NE wind made today a rather grey and chilly day, with news from The Point of an unseen Serin over the observatory quickly followed by an unseen Bee-eater, gave me to think that today was going to be another of those near miss days. Both birds were heard and the Bee-eater seen again before I managed to catch up with them thanks to a call from Dave Bunney telling me he could see the Bee-eater on wires from his house, as I could see his house from where I was in the station car park I went into panic mode when I couldn't see bird, I moved to the bottom of the car park and saw the bird distantly, it had been obscured by the station cafe. As I started to walk towards it to try for an image a train came along and flushed it, it flew around over the beach for a couple of minutes before I lost it to view.
At The Patch there were 20+ Common Terns and the scrawny tame Fox was hoping to be fed by the fishermen but little else of note. A male Peregrine was around power station.
The afternoon sea watch started well with 3 Eider flying west along the beach as I got out of my car, then a party of 3 Arctic Skuas flew east soon after but they were the highlights. 
 Meadow Pipit on the perimeter wall
 3 Eider past the fishing boats this afternoon blurred by the haze coming off the beach
14.45-16.45 from the fishing boats:
Common Scoter: 28E
Eider: 3W
Great-crested Grebe: 7 around
Gannet: 15 around
Cormorant: 22 around
Arctic Skua: 3E  together
Kittiwake: 4E
Sandwich Tern: 94E   5W
Common Tern: 18E    2W
Harbour Porpoise: 7+
Party of 3 distant Arctic Skuas past the fishing boats this afternoon

No comments:

Post a Comment