Thursday 8 February 2018

Dartford Warbler!

 Due to domestic stuff I didn't get to The Patch until very late morning. I was pleased to see many Gulls over the boil and in the roost in front of the hide. After spending quite some time scanning through the Gulls over the boil and finding anything of note, I turned my attention to the roosting birds. More or less the first bird I saw at the furthest end of the roost was the regular Glaucous Gull, apart from a couple of Rainham/Pitsea ringed Herring Gulls I found nothing else of note in the first sweep, as I started the second sweep the Gulls started to get fidgety and thats when I noticed 3 photographers creeping along the beach, needless to say a few seconds later all the gulls had flushed either out to sea or over towards the reserve. A party of 43 Red-throated Divers flew up channel while I was in the hide but little else was moving. As I left the hide the photographers asked me if I had seen the Glaucous Gull!!
At the fishing boats despite deploying a quantity of bread there was no sign of the 1w Caspian Gull again, I fear it may have departed.
 Dartford Warbler
I was going to the observatory but the road was blocked by a builders lorry, so thanks to Owens tweet I had a wander through the Broom in the Kerton Road Triangle where I eventually caught up with a couple of Dartford Warblers, 3 Stonechats and a Meadow Pipit. 
 Dartford Warbler
 Dartford Warbler
 Dartford Warbler
 Dartford Warbler
Dartford Warbler
 Black-throated Diver from Dennis's Hide
Mid afternoon from Dennis's Hide in the company of RO, the Black-throated Diver was showing fairly well, the Glaucous Gull was among the Great Black Backed Gulls as was an adult Yellow-legged Gull.
1w Glaucous Gull from Dennis's Hide

2 comments: