Thursday 5 January 2017

Not a bad day!

At Scotney first thing this morning 2 Tundra Bean Geese among the hordes of Greylag Geese, which by 08.30  had all flown off from the lake out on to the marsh.
 Stejneger's Stonechat 
As I drove across the causeway a Slavonian Grebe could be seen on the New Diggings close to the road, then a call from DW  alerted me 7 wild swans he had seen come in over the beach, I pulled over at the southern end of the ARC and scanned the skies to no avail.
When I arrived at Kerton Road there were a number of disappointed birders wandering around as the Stonechat had no been seen since an early morning report. I started to walk out towards what seems to be it's favoured area, after only a few steps I could see a pale blob on the perimeter fence. It still does not allow close approach and is very active. In the gorse by the fence a Dartford Warbler. 
 1w Caspian Gull
On my way to the beach I checked the Fish Hut roost  but there was only a handful of Gulls and nothing notable. A 30 minute wander among the containers and boats saw nothing of any note either on the land or the sea. Leaving the beach I could see that the Fish Hut roost had attracted more Gulls, as I pulled up I could see the large regular 1w Caspian Gull's gleaming white head.
 4 of the 7 Bewick Swans
Driving back across the causeway I could see a party of swans on the ARC, pulling over quickly I could see they 7 Bewick Swans presumably the same birds DW saw come in earlier.  
 The Ring-necked Duck was showing well on Cook's Pool
From Dengemarsh Road the Lapwing flock the leucistic bird was feeding with c100 Golden Plover, in the field by the farmhouse 2 Ruff among some more Lapwing.
feral Barnacle Geese at Scotney
An excellent afternoon at Scotney, the highlights being 3 Tundra bean Geese, a Pink-footed Geese, a Merlin, a Green Sandpiper, 2 Avocet, 14 Curlew, 3 Marsh Harriers, 2 Great White Egrets and a Little Owl.

No comments:

Post a Comment