Tuesday 15 November 2016

Dotterel!

 Ring-necked Duck in the early morning gloom
Still without a car this morning MH kindly picked me up. Our first stop was at Cooks Pool Boulderwall where the Ring-necked Duck was  showing nicely despite the gloomy weather. Further along the track the Cattle Egret was in its chosen field.
From the viewing ramp 5+ Bearded Tits were using the gritter, Denge Marsh was very quiet this morning, though 2 Common Snipe, a Common Buzzard and a Marsh harrier were noted.
Cattle Egret
 Bearded Tits on the gritter from the viewing ramp
From Dennis's Hide 2 Great White Egrets and a Goldeneye among the the usual wildfowl. Among the Gulls was an adult Yellow-legged Gull.
Walking up to Firth we stopped at the dipping pool where as usual I scanned the Sallows and there was the Long-eared Owl hopefully back for the rest of the winter. From Firth the 3 Black-tailed Godwits still but nothing unusual among the many Gulls.

Dotterel on the beach in the late afternoon gloom
Late this afternoon Owen Leyshon called to tell me had found a Dotterel on the shingle opposite Jarmans, the only problem I was car less, a quick call to Mark H who kindly came and picked me up, taking me to see the Dotterel of which we enjoyed great views in the late afternoon gloom. Soon after the garage called to say my car was ready. I was only without a car for 4 days but it felt as though my legs had been chopped off. I take my hat off to people who voluntarily give up the cars.

No comments:

Post a Comment