Sunday 8 May 2016

The Poms keep coming!

 5 Pomarine Skuas lazily flapping by this morning
I arrived  at the sea watch hide around 06.30 with absolutely no expectations, I didn't even take my notebook, so the following is from memory.
06.30-11.00
Brent Goose: 20E
Shelduck: 2E
Shoveler: 4E
Common Scoter: c200E
Red-breasted Merganser: 3E
Black-throated Diver: 4E
Great-crested Grebe: c10 around
Gannet: c100E
Hobby: 1 out
Grey Plover: c8E
Sanderling: 3E
Knot: 1E
Whimbrel: c20E
Pomarine Skua: 17E
Little Gull: 2E
Kittiwake: c15E
Common tern: c200 around
Sandwich tern: c100 around
Alba Wagtail: 1E
Swallow: 6 in
By 11.00 A.M. I was on sea watch over load having seen the best part of 150 Pomarine Skuas in the last few days, I was in need of a full English.
1 of 4 Yellow Wagtails at Cockles Bridge
A stop at Cockles Bridge saw 4 Yellow wagtails, a corn bunting and 2 Red-legged Partridges.
Lunchtime from the garden 6 Hobby's over the fields, 2 Marsh Harriers, 4 Common Buzzards, a Kestrel, a Little Egret and several Grey Herons  coming and going from the Heronry.
On Walland this afternoon 2 Turtle Doves, several Tree Sparrows, 2 Common Buzzards and several Marsh Harriers. 
A day in France tomorrow so hopefully loads of birds.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Martin,
    Who'd have thought it was going to be such a good year for Poms, must have been good for the weekend visitors getting the chance to catch-up with them too. I know its a bit late but thank you for finding my glasses outside the hide - you've saved me a major expense! I have only had to wear them recently and I can't get on with them at all especially with bins and cams. When the skuas went by I threw my glasses off my head to get them out the way. Its not a technique I'd recommend. See you soon - and I owe you a pint!

    Nick

    ReplyDelete