Thursday 12 May 2016

Monty's!

 When I arrived at the sea watch hide a around 07.30 it was empty which told me all I needed to know about the off shore passage this morning. I moved onto The Patch where c100 Common Terns were feeding and c150 Herring Gulls with a few Great and Lesser Black Backed Gulls were loafing on the shore. I carried on to the open ground at the west end of the power station, where a single male Wheatear was feeding, hopefully its mate was nearby on eggs, a flock of c35 Linnets were present and several Ravens could be heard but not seen. At the observatory DW was ringing a Chiffchaff and Blackcap, a Black Redstart was  on the wires. A stroll around The Desert saw a few resident Common Whitethroats, 3 Chiffchaffs and 4 Swallows very meagre fare.
A look around Scotney saw 3 Grey Plover, 2 Marsh Harriers, 4 Yellow Wagtails by the road and the usual feral Geese.
While emptying my MV, Steve Gale http://northdownsandbeyond.blogspot.co.uk/ phoned to say a female Montagu's Harrier was circling the fields SW of my house. My scope was already set up in the drive, as I scanned across the fields all I could find was  Marsh Harriers and Common Buzzards, in desperation I drove down towards the Go Cart track, as I did so the Harrier passed me heading for house, a very quick about turn and even quicker drive back to the house where I could see the harrier coming closer and closer, very quickly it circled in front the house before flying over at c60 feet giving fantastic views, unfortunately I was looking straight into the sun.
 Montagu's Harrier
Montagu's Harrier
Montagu's Harrier
A few minutes after the Harrier went over this Common Buzzard did the same.
I joined AJG at the fishing boats 14.00-15.30
Gannet: 9E
Oystercatcher: 3E   1W
Whimbrel: 35E
Bar-tailed Godwit: 1E
Arctic Skua: 1E
Little Tern: 5E
Common Tern: 41E
Sandwich Tern: 9E
Swallow:17 coasting  E
House Martin: 1 E with Swallows

This evening I visited The Midrips, after climbing over the new sea defence wall and negotiating the Norwegian Boulders I made my way along the sea wall to the lagoons where 17 Avocet, 4 Greenshanks, 3 Whimbrel, 2 Curlew, a Knot, 12 Black-tailed Godwits, 4 Grey Plover, 22 Redshank, 12 Dunlin, 2 Sanderling, 9 Ringed Plovers and 14 Oystercatchers were all feeding. 2 male Wheatears were feeding near the entrance, while along the bank Common Whitethroats, Reed Buntings and Meadow Pipits were singing. Then I had to negotiate the obstacle course to get out! Due to the new sea defence work this site is not for the infirm! Of course the MOD could just take the padlock off the gate when they are not using the ranges.

,

No comments:

Post a Comment