Tuesday 15 March 2016

 The strong bitter cold easterly yesterday made the peninsula virtually unbirdable so I gave up and got on with some over due decorating finishing it off this morning.
A midday wander around the hayfields and Dengemarsh failed to find any of the Garganey, though I dare say I will bump into them soon. A lone Black-tailed Godwit on hayfield 3 with 3 Ringed Plovers, 6 Lapwing, 4 Shelduck, 4 Teal, and 2 Gadwall. Around Dengemarsh 7 Barnacle Geese of unknown origin, 2 Great White Egrets, 3 Marsh Harriers, a Bittern. c150 Wigeon and c30 Gadwall. Plenty of Reed buntings seen but no Bearded Tits today.
3 Black-necked Grebes late afternoon
2 Slavonian Grebes early afternoon
I stopped at the south end of the New Diggings on my way to Greatstone and saw the 2 Slavonian Grebes and a red head Smew. Opposite Greatstone  caravan park, c150 Knot, c100 Dunlin, 20+ Sanderling, 9 Bar-tailed Godwits(my first this year) also several 100s of Oystercatchers all of which were showing well on the incoming tide.
A short sea watch this afternoon from the car was poor.
14.45-15.15

Common Scoter: 3E
Red-throated Diver: 3E
Great-crested Grebe: 26 on sea
Gannet: 4E
Kittiwake: 1E

As I drove back across the causeway I spotted 3 Black-necked Grebes tucked under the bank of the New Diggings. By the time I got the happy snapper onto them they were heading out to the centre of the lake. Apparently my DSLR and lens will take another 2 weeks to repair, so it was just as well I put them in for service early, otherwise I might not have had them for my up coming Moroccan trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment