Thursday 14 January 2016

Glaucous Gulls!

An absolutely punishingly cold morning sea watch at the fishing boats today. There was very little moving off shore, just some localised feeding movement of a few Guillemots, Red-throated Divers, Kittiwakes and Gannets, because of the lack movement I only last half an hour before seeking the warmth of the car. I through out some scraps of bread and instantly the regular 1w Caspian Gull appeared.
From the entrance track on the reserve 3 Smew including the drake, 2 Great White Egrets and a Bittern that flew towards the ARC. I drove the short distance to Scotney and immediately spotted the Tundra Bean Goose and was interrupted by a message from RBA about a Glaucous Gull by the entrance track on the reserve, exactly the place I left minutes earlier. Minutes later I was back there seeing a Jay on the way but no Glaucous Gull, I found out later it was a fly over seen by AP. I made my way to the VC and had a look at the Long-eared Owl, 4 more Smew were on Burrowes, while have a hot chocolate in the VC a Firecrest was in the scrub in front the window.
Speaking to AP he told me had seen the Glaucous Gull distantly from the entrance track and it had flown towards the sea, he was only able to obtain long distance images which were inconclusive in ageing the Gull. From the VC I went to the beach in the hope of finding the Glaucous Gull, not long after arriving at the beach I spotted a Glaucous Gull sitting on the beach about 400yds away, as I moved to get closer to it the bird flew off over fishing boats towards The Point and appeared to land there. DB joined me at The point and the bird flew back to the boats showing well to all who chose to come and see it. Later I threw some bread out to try and tempt it in closer, it immediately came for the bread as did the Caspian Gull and to my and MFs amazement another Glaucous Gull appeared though quickly moved off. I at first thought it was another 1w bird but on reviewing the some of MFs quickly shot off images showing a pale eye proving it to be a 2w. A few of the images can be seen below, still many more to review.
 1w Glaucous Gull
 1w Glaucous Gull
 1w Glaucous Gull
 1w Glaucous Gull
 1w Glaucous Gull
 1w Glaucous Gull
 2w Glaucous Gull
 2w Glaucous Gull
2w Glaucous Gull

3 comments:

  1. A stunning selection here Martin. They were obviously on the tame side!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Steve. As you know the shingle throws you a surprise when you least expect it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some brilliant images here Martin. Well hunting the birds out there.

    ReplyDelete