Tuesday 27 October 2015

Polish Caspian Gull!

An excellent start to the day this morning when I opened the door, a superb male Black Redstart was perched on the aerial of my car. 
On my way to The Point I stopped at the south end of the New Diggings where the 2 Black-necked Grebes were still in residence.
I cut my sea watch at The Point short, when after 15 minutes I'd only seen a single Gannet go west and 2 Starlings arrive in from the sea. 
 1 of c15 Black Redstarts I saw around the peninsular today.
Goldfinch by the old lighthouse
 A walk around the area with AJG gave the distinct feeling of after the Lord Mayors Show. There appeared to be far fewer grounded migrants today, just the 1 Ring Ouzel in The moat, 3 Firecrests, c30 Goldcrests. Goldfinches, Siskins, Redpolls, Chaffinches and Brambling continued to pass overhead there were fewer of them.
 Polish ringed Caspian Gull
Late afternoon I was with David Walker near the fishing boats, he through out a couple of slices of stale bread for the gulls, within seconds a Polish colour ringed 1w Caspian Gull appeared. It was difficult to photograph as it so tame, coming close enough for us to read the metal ring. It was a pity it was so late in the day as the light was fading rapidly, hopefully it will still be around tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment