Sunday 5 July 2015

Roseate Tern!

Last nights moth catch was the best so far this year with 53 species of macro and at least 25 micro species although none were of real note. With the welcome rain this morning it gave me the opportunity to photograph the micro's and identify most of them.
Late morning the rain cleared and I made my way to the ARC where from the screen 2 Little Ringed Plovers could be seen among the many post breeding Lapwings and the hordes of Mute swans and Coots. At the south end 2 Black-tailed Godwits and c20 Sand Martins.
Next stop the fishing boats for a sea watch, from the moment I arrived there was a mixed party of c20 Sandwich and Common Terns feeding close inshore on Whitebait. I started trying to get some images of the terns when an adult Roseate Tern appeared in front of me a little further out than the rest of the terns, another panic moment ensued as I fired off some record shots as it moved off west, then made a call and tweet. Fortunately the Roseate Tern came back and showed well to those who came to it.

 Roseate Tern at the fishing boats this afternoon








The first juvenile Yellow-legged Gull of the year was attracted by the offal put out by my Mick and the 2 Richards.
a 1st summer Common Tern at the fishing boats
Mystery Tern!
Sanwich Tern surfaces
With Whitebait 

No comments:

Post a Comment