Sunday 22 February 2015

Colour ringed Little Stint!

Colour ringed Little Stint, Scotney. (Probably part of a Norwegian Project.)
As it was superb bright frosty morning I decided I'd have a wander around the Scotney complex. 
First I walked from the farm entrance along the cycle path to the red brick bungalow and back. The main lake was like a mirror it was so calm and the Kent end was frozen. The 3 Black-necked Grebes were easy to spot as they swam around together, while on the edge of the lake the Little Stint was associating with 2 Dunlin, I could see that it was colour ringed but to far off to sort out. (I eventually got better views this afternoon in much duller conditions)
20 Ringed Plover ran around the turf along with 4 Redshank, a Curlew and c40 feral Barnacle Geese. On the the far side of the lake 2 Egyptian Geese but no sign of any wild geese. The Scaup was still associating with some Pochard and 3 Little Egrets were around the lake.
 Green Sandpiper, Scotney.
By the time I got back to the farm entrance a light breeze was rippling the lake and breaking the ice. As I wandered up to the farm a Green Woodpecker flew over as did a Marsh Harrier. Round the farm a couple of Tree Sparrows, several Corn Buntings and Green Sandpiper flew over, I continued along the track beside the back lake towards Jury Gap seeing of note 9 Little Grebes, 22 Shelduck, 12 Pintail, 5 Little Egrets, 6 Redshank, 3 Marsh Harriers and 2 Great White Egrets one of which flew back into Kent over me. The fields were virtually bird less with just a few Meadow Pipits, Skylarks and Pied Wagtails, once again no Hen Harrier.   
 Great White Egret in Sussex.
Red-crested Pochard skulking in the reeds!
In January I resisted temptation to twitch a female Red-crested Pochard on Lade pit, so today with news of drake on the reserve I crumbled, joined MH on the bench at the dipping pool twitching a plastic duck.

No comments:

Post a Comment