Friday 19 September 2014

Fog!

First thing this morning at the observatory hot and humid. I decided to do my regular plod around The Desert and southern edge of the trapping area. By the railway sleepers 3 Wheatears and c40 Meadow Pipits, a Stonechat on the Brambles at the start of the High Gorse, then the fog rolled in off the sea, the temperature plummeted, i continued my plod seeing very little and was very pleased when I eventually got back to the car and was able to don my fleece .
I stopped at the south end of the ARC but could barely see the waters edge, I stopped again further along the causeway but the fog was so thick I could not even see the Cormorant Island. I decided to cut my losses and go home and do some of the chores I have been putting off. 
 At about 13.30 the sun broke through the fog and I could see the ARC Water Tower. Chores forgotten I went to Hanson where a Great White Egret was strutting around, the Glossy Ibis appeared, a single Garganey was loafing with the Shoveller, 2 Black-necked Grebes, c150 Golden Plover dropped in and the duck Red-crested Pochard could be seen among all the Gadwall and smaller numbers of Wigeon and Pintail.
A firecrest was associating with a Tit flock in the Willow Trail, on the wires behind the Screen hide a Spotted Flycatcher, from the hide a Water Rail and all the birds seen from Hanson. At the pines 2 Chiffchaffs and unbelievably my first Goldcrest of the year on the peninsular.
 Golden Plover from Hanson
Feathered Brindle's in the Plodland trap this morning

No comments:

Post a Comment