Sunday 3 August 2014

A few Migrants.

I spent most of this morning plodding around the ARC and the reserve. During that time I counted 42 Willow Warblers, 1 Lesser Whitethroat, 14 Common Whitethroats, 8 Sedge Warblers, 7 Reed Warblers, 1 Cetti's Warbler, 2 Bearded Tits, 1 Cuckoo, 1 Hobby, 6 Marsh Harriers, a minimum of 14 Little Egrets, 1 Great White Egret, 3 Ruff, 3 Wood Sandpipers, 4 Common Sandpipers, 6 common Snipe, a Redshank, 3 Garganey and all the usual dabblers and diving duck. I'm sure if my hearing was not as poor as it is I would have recorded much more. I did not go to the sea today as the lifeboat had an open day and I'm sure the access road would be grid locked. I also walked the Galloways Gorse Bridleway which looks as though it should attract a few migrants, but only saw a couple of Willow Warblers.   
 1 of 42 Willow Warblers seen today
 Ruff from Firth
This evening I went back to Firth hide where the light is excellent for photography, but the birds are still a little bit distant.(Always something for me to moan about)
 Common Snipe from Firth
 Wood Sandpipers from Firth
 2 more Jersey Tigers in the Plodland trap today along with 27 other macro species, including a Canary Shouldered Thorn, that are relatively common but stunning moths.
Canary Shouldered Thorn

No comments:

Post a Comment