Saturday 12 July 2014

Moths and Gulls!

I over slept this morning after staying up into the early hours with the Plodland Moth trap. As I am a complete novice with moth identification, last nights deluge of moths was quite daunting and very time consuming. I have never seen so many moths in my life before, but compared with the observatory moth trap mine was slow(DW had in excess of 400 Diamond-back Moths compared to my 30+). I did record 57 macro species with help from DW on some of the identification. As for the micro's there are still a few pots in the fridge waiting to be photographed, enlarged and hopefully identified.
This afternoon I spent a pleasant couple of hours on the beach with Mick and Richard photographing Gulls, being joined by DW and GH who had just seen a an Osprey from the reserve head out to sea. 
A short stop at the south end of the ARC early evening found the usual suspects and also my first Common Sandpiper of the autumn on the far side of the lake.
2nd summer Herring Gull
North Thames colour ring Herring Gull K5FT
Lesser Black Backed Gull
North Thames colour ring TU3.T 
Juvenile  Yellow-legged Gull

No comments:

Post a Comment