Sunday 15 June 2014

Half hour sheltering in front the sea watch hide from the NE wind this morning yielded little of note. A few Gannets, Common and Sandwich Terns feeding off shore and party of c45 Common Scoter. A Black Redstart was singing from inside the compound. As I walked back to the car a flock of 11 Grey Herons came in off the sea by the old lighthouse and flew in over the observatory towards the reserve.(This evening 13 Grey Herons were feeding on Hayfield 3). By the fishing boats a pair of Wheatears with 2 fledged young also a leucistic Starling with a flock of c50 Starlings.
juvenile Wheatear
No sign of any Garganey at the south end of the ARC, but a very young Little Egret there presumably from the Lydd heronry.
Cycling past Scotney this afternoon there was no sign of any Avocets at the Kent end, so I fear the worst for the 3 non flying chicks. At the western end 3 fully fledged young with 2 adults that were giving a Grey Heron a serious hard time.
Approaching  Jurys Gap an adult male Marsh Harrier flew across the road in front of me also a stunning male Yellow Wagtail on a fence post just a few feet from me.
Along the Midrips 21 Avocets and at least 2 chicks, 7 Redshanks, 8 Oystercatchers, 20+ Shelduck but no ducklings, probably all taken by Foxes and Badgers, another male Marsh Harrier and a Grey Partridge flushed from the side of the track just before Galloways, while offshore 4 Little Terns and 6 Sandwich Terns. Cycling up the bridleway through the Gorse at Galloways I spotted another Grey Partridge on the track c50mts ahead of me, I pulled up to watch it and just kept walking towards me picking up insects, it eventually got to around 5 metres away where it looked at me then carried on feeding for another few minutes before wandering off into the Gorse. Because I was on my bike I had no camera, as after a few minutes of cycling with it on my shoulder I am in agony, if I had it in the camera bag on my back I can last a little longer, but by the time I have taken the bag off and unpacked the camera anything I wanted to photograph would be gone. I need to come up with some way of fixing the camera to the handlebars with a quick release system so the frame takes the weight hmmm!
This evening at Dengemarsh in a strong NE wind and grey overcast skies apart from the Herons on Hayfield 3 there were 3 Hobby's, 2 Marsh Harriers and 8 Swifts over the lake.

No comments:

Post a Comment