Saturday 18 January 2014

The grass is greener on the other side!

An hour this morning and another this afternoon sea watching from the fishing boats was a almost a re run of yesterday with 100s  of Guillemots and Kittiwakes, lesser numbers of Razorbills, Red-throated Divers, Great Crested Grebes, Gannets, Common Scoters, 2 Teal, 74 Brent Geese, a couple of Fulmars, a Mediterranean Gull, a Little Gull and the addition of 5 Great Skuas. As I left I was asked by a couple of birders if I'd seen much, my reply was oh the usual Gillies, Kits and Divers. For 50 years I lived Shoreham, West Sussex, how soon I forgot the hours I used to spend at Widewater and Selsey Bill in West Sussex, where my sightings at Dungenesss today would have been really memorable, in fact I cant remember ever seeing 5 Great Skuas at Widewater in one day let alone a couple of hours!
On reading Owen Mitchells blog (a real Selsey sea watching stalwart)  http://selseybirder.blogspot.co.uk/ tonight, I realise how lucky I am now to live just a 5 minute drive from the fishing boats at Dungeness let alone the reserve, the ARC, Scotney, Walland and all the avian treats they produce.

No comments:

Post a Comment