Friday 10 January 2014

Snow Buntings

As dawn broke at Camber Sands 3 calling Snow Buntings flew over me towards Rye, as I headed towards the harbour entrance they flew back over me towards the cafe. I made a short diversion towards the sea to what turned out to be a body being guarded by a dog walker that had been bought in by the tide. Upon nearly reaching the cafe and the Snow Buntings a Police Landrover drove along the beach to the body flushing the Buntings back over me again. By the time I finally caught up with them 2 other birders were watching them, then joined by Matt Eade. I saw very little else of interest on the beach.  





 At Scotney GP 9 Greater White-fronted Geese could be seen from the double bends along with usual plastic geese. The Long-tailed Duck was in its usual spot at the Kent end. A walk out on to Walland from Scotney Cottage was disappointing, finding only 2 Corn Buntings and a Great White Egret of note.
                                   
                                     Greater Whitefronted Geese Scotney GP

Seemed like a good idea at the time!
I spent a couple of hours this afternoon at Littlestone Golf Course waiting for no show Short-eared Owl but did catch up with 6 Skylarks and a Mediterranean Gull. A car was stranded on the track behind the beach which I wouldn't attempt in my 4x4. Apparently sat navs often direct drivers onto this track. While there a call from DW, that he had found 2 Tundra Bean Geese at Scotney while looking for the Whitefronts, had me hot footing it back to Scotney unfortunately arriving just after they flew out to Walland.
The Hume's Yellow Browed Warbler was still present today per The Joker, the Black Throated divers were still on New Diggings and the Glossy Ibis came into roost on Burrowes as usual. 

No comments:

Post a Comment