Monday 30 December 2013

Portland andWeymouth!

Because I'm I am going to Iceland in February I told myself I would not twitch the Weymouth Brunnich's Guillemot. A text last evening from GH offering a lift to Weymouth today with PB broke my resolve in a matter of seconds. I'm so glad I weakened so easily as we had a great day out. We met at PBs at 07.00 and GH drove us through the gales and driving rain, stopping for coffee en route, arriving at Portland at 11.30 just as the sun broke through. Immediately the Brunnich's Guillemot was showing but quickly disappeared for an hour, before popping up again.
While waiting for it to reappear we had reasonable if distant views of a Black Guillemot, also several Common guillemots and Razorbills, along with a Great Northern Diver a Black Throated Diver and c40 Red-breasted Mergansers.    
Brunnich's Guillemot

Glossy Ibis
 After leaving Portland we went to Radipole, to have a look at the Hooded Merganser that has been present since 2008 a smart bird despite its provenance. While there we saw several Mediterranean Gulls. We then moved half a mile along the road where a Glossy Ibis was strutting around a flooded plying field. A great end to a great day out.
Hooded Merganser

No comments:

Post a Comment