Tuesday 3 December 2013

A long trek

Waking up to a windless grey day I assumed that there would be no sea passage, so I drove the short distance to Northpoint GP parked up and made my way to the riverside footpath. On Northpoint little of note, not that there ever seems to be much there because of windsurfers. I walked the footpath to the harbour entrance seeing a couple of Common Snipe, several Redshanks, a few Turnstones,and little else. On the breakwater at the entrance a Kingfisher fishing very successfully. The bay was flat calm but the only duck I saw were a pair of Mallard.
From the harbour entrance I walked along the beach to Camber and back through the sand dunes. On the beach just a few Oystercatchers, not surprising really as it was like being in a Winalot advert there. The expected Snow Buntings and Shorelarks failed to materialise, but in the Sea Buckthorn many Reed Buntings, Blackbirds and Starlings. By the time I got back to the car I was exhausted, i'd forgotten how tiring walking through sand dunes can be. I don't think I will be in hurry to do it again, i'd rather sit at the fishing boats seeing a few bits and pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment