Saturday 25 May 2013

Terek Ends The day

 Thought I better go to The Point first thing this morning in case the Bee-eater was still present, as I missed it yesterday while visiting mum in West Sussex but no joy. In fact there was very little of note avian wise to be seen in the area. 2 adult Foxes were at the south end of the trapping area.
On returning home for breakfast the air ambulance created some excitement by landing in the Rape field a few yards from my garden. Hopefully the young lady who came off her bike in the Marshman's Triathlon wasn't to seriously injured. 

After breakfast I cycled down to Dengemarsh and around the reserve. On the way down several Yellow Wagtails were observed and 2 marsh Harriers, Hobby's were much in evidence with at least 6 birds being seen, also many Swifts (Another Red Rumped Swallow was reported from the ARC and PT saw one on Walland) 3 first summer Little Gulls were on Burrowes and a couple of Bearded Tits showed well on Hookers. Reed, Sedge and Cetti's Warblers were singing along with Common Whitethroats, a Lesser Whitethroat and many Reed Buntings. From the Screen Hide I watched A Grey Heron take a young Coot followed by 2 large Marsh Frogs before flying off towards the Heronry. 




This afternoon I cycled along to Scotney. A nice ride but little of note, the best being a Common Sandpiper, a Wheatear, a Yellow Wagtail, 5 Barnacle Geese and a Black Swan.
Late this afternoon I was on my way to the Midrips when news of a Terek Sandpiper at Rye harbour Ternery Pool broke. I quickly made my way there but was unable to find the bird. By chance I met a guy leaving the Quarry hide told me the the Terek was on another pool north of the Ternery Pool. In fact the bird had not been on the Ternery Pool at all as I found out when I met the finder Simon linnington, who had a point of telling the news services it was on the pool north of the Ternery Pool. Great find Simon. Also present several Avocets with young, Little Ringed Plover,   and the usual Terns and Gulls.

No comments:

Post a Comment