Monday 4 March 2013

Brents Starting To Move

Half an hour at the sea watch hide this morning was some what disappointing, as what had been an interesting watch came to abrupt end as I arrived. I did manage to see c60 Brent Geese and a Bonxie.
A wander to The Patch was uneventful. Although c1000 Gulls were present I found nothing of note. the wander back to the Old Lighthouse was just as uneventful.
Thinking I'd go to Rye Harbour I stopped at Scotney which was virtually birdless. The road was blocked temporarily at Jurys Gap, so I turned round and went back to Dengemarsh where I walked round the hayfields to Hookers then out to the go cart track and back. En route I had several sightings of Bitterns, Bearded Tits, Cetti's Warblers and Marsh Harriers. 2 Common Buzzards were over the fields which were full of Lapwings, Golden Plovers and Fieldfares, I eventually located the 5 Tundra Bean Geese at the back of Dengemarsh with some Barnacle Geese.
Just under 2 hours at the fishing boats this afternoon produced:
Red-throated Diver: 22E  + 4 on the sea.
Great Crested Grebe: N/C  but good numbers on the sea.
Gannet: 16E
Brent Geese: 127E
Wigeon: 39E
Pintail: 6E
Shoveler: 8E
Common Scoter: 3W
Curlew: 146E
Great Skua: 1E
Kittiwake: N/C
Auks: N/C but good numbers on sea + moving E

1 comment: