Saturday 5 January 2013

Tundra Bean goose

Looking out the bedroom window this morning and seeing how dark and damp it was outside I quickly slid back into bed for an extra hour. The late start was fortuitous as while having breakfast a garden first of 2 Bullfinches dropped in.
I drove straight to Galloways and spent 20 minutes on the bank by the tank scanning all round, seeing a grand total of 1 distant Marsh Harrier and a few crows. While there I received a text from MB telling me that a Bean goose was on show at Scotney. Arriving a few minutes later the bird was on show in the Sussex part of the pit, it later moved to Kent where I managed a record picture of it. Also there a Slavonian Grebe, huge numbers of common wildfowl and 1000s each of Golden Plover and Lapwing which put on spectacular displays each time they were disturbed. After a tip off from PT that there were a couple of Corn Buntings at the back of Scotney Court Farm, I walked up the concrete road and out onto the marsh where I found a flock of 16 Corn Buntings. 6 Brent Geese were on one of the floods and 10 Little Grebes on another and 4+ Marsh harriers over.
A walk up to the pines and round the Tower Pits from the ARC car park produced 2 Cetti's Warblers, 2 Marsh Harriers, 1 Little Egret and little else.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment