Saturday 1 December 2012

Winter Birding

Arriving at Cheyne Court mid morning where a group of birders were already watching 5 Waxwings with 100s of Fieldfare and Redwing. While watching them a male Hen Harrier flew through. While diving around the marsh looking for more Waxwings a Mink came out of a ditch onto the road briefly, further on 2 more Waxwings by A259. All over the marsh large flocks of Fieldfare and Redwing numbering in 1000s. At Midley 23 Bewick Swans and 2 Whoopers with the Mute Swans, 4 Waxwings appeared briefly flushed by a Common Buzzard and the Hen harrier put in another fly by appearance. Neil Burt called me to say he had seen a Lesser Whitethroat at the Dungeness RSPB visitor centre. Despite only taking a few minutes to get there I missed it by seconds. Images of the bird taken by Neil can be found   here 
Highlights while trying to relocate the bird were a Great White Egret, Red Head Smew and 2 Marsh Harriers from Dennis's Hide.
I watched and photographed a Barn Owl that was hunting by the entrance track as I was leaving but it was mainly distant. As I drove away I saw it land beside another track and it allowed quite close approach in the car.
Late afternoon as dusk fell I had Hanson Hide all to my self. 2 more Great White Egrets flew in to join the one already there and a Kingfisher flew round in circles in front the hide looking for fishing perch. As darkness fell a Drake Goosander flew in, a red head Smew appeared in front the hide as did 4 Goldeneye and Bittern flew in to roost. The Egrets appeared to roost there to. Walking back to the car in the dark several Water Rails were Squealing and Cetti's Warbler chattered.  

3 comments:

  1. I really like your blog.. very nice colors & theme.
    Did you make this website yourself or did you hire someone to do it for you?
    Plz answer back as I'm looking to construct my own blog and would like to find out where u got this from. many thanks
    my web site :: Canada Goose Jakker

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, My blog is provided google blogger. They provide all the back up and you just choose how you wish to display it.

      Delete
  2. I was trying to get the Minks attention for it to turn round and look at me!

    ReplyDelete