Monday 20 August 2012

Bits and Pieces

The Point was covered in fog with seemingly few birds around when I arrived this morning. TG had been into the trapping area and seen 50+ Willow Warblers, 3 Lesser Whitethroat and a Redstart.
I needed to go to the reserve centre so I thought I'd spend the morning there.
On Burrowes of note just 2 Common Sandpipers. While walking up to Dengemarsh I found a Lesser Emperor Dragonfly which was flying up and down the path refusing to settle after ten minutes it disappeared. Carrying on to Dengemarsh the Great White Egret was viewable from the path to Hookers and 6+ Willow Warblers were in the bushes. With little else to see I went back to Christmas Dell to have another look for the dragonfly and found it in the same place. I took dozens of images in the next 15 minutes as it dashed up and down the track at breakneck speed before it disappeared again, but only managed 1 that was partially in focus. As I left the reserve I received a text from PT alerting me to an Osprey heading south at Lade but was unable to see it.
The only partially in focus image I managed of this Lesser Emperor
In 3 visits to the ARC today 3 Common Sandpipers, 1 Wood Sandpiper, C35 Golden Plover,4 Garganey, an adult Little Gull, 2 Marsh Harriers and several hundred Sand Martins.
A quick look at Scotney found 200+ Golden Plover, 3 Yellow Wagtails and Marsh Harrier among 100s of Greylag and Canada Geese.

No comments:

Post a Comment