Monday 11 June 2012

Cute Killer

Arriving at The Point this morning in heavy rain which quickly eased, allowing me to reach the sea watch hide without getting to wet. From there a few Gannets and a couple of Kittiwakes tooing and froing. At The Patch 40+ Common Terns, 10+ Sandwich Terns and a 1st summer Mediterranean Gull among the resident gulls.
At the south end of the ARC Pit, 40+ Swifts, 3 Ringed Plovers, 2 Little Ringed Plovers and the Oystercatcher still sitting tight.
As the weather improved I moved on to try and get some pictures of some Lizard Orchids and Bee Orchids which was successful, but when I tried to down load them the computer say NO! 
At Scotney hundreds of Herring Gulls and Greylag Geese, the only birds of note were 3 Wigeon.
Next stop Dengemarsh. An hour on Springfield Bridge with 16+ Hobby's with some giving spectacular aerobatic displays, the others loafing on the anti-predator fence, up to 5 Marsh Harriers, 2 Curlews(returning birds?), a Bittern booming and plenty of Common Terns. No sign of the Purple Heron today although in truth I did not really look for it, as I spent most my time admiring the Hobby's.    
 Plodding round the anti predator fence Reed, Sedge and Cetti's Warblers singing as were a couple of Reed Buntings and Bearded Tits heard in the ditch but not seen.
 As I came out of Dengemarsh hide a Stoat dashed across the path into some brambles. I decided to wait a while in case it came back out, ten minutes later my patience was rewarded when it reappeared darting hither and thither playing and looking so innocent, always alert, inspecting holes, insects and sniffing sheep droppings. For what seemed an age this cutest of killers took no notice of me or the camera shutter then disappeared into the undergrowth. 





1 comment: