Sunday 22 April 2012

Another Plod

I arrived at the Military Canal at Warehorne at 05.00 for a dawn start of this tetrad which drew a blank for Nightingales yesterday. By 08.00 I had plodded around all the suitable habitat and still no Nightingales. I did find my first Lesser Whitethroat of the year, but for some reason the dawn chorus was very quiet and short lived. I feel sure I will find Nightingales there some time next week.
A sea watch from the hide 10.00-11.15 was very poor:
Gannet: 17E  6W
Common Scoter: 48E
Bonxie: 2E
Swallow: 1 in off
Linnet: 4 in off
Harbour Porpoise: 2 off shore.

At the ARC Pit a drake Garganey at the south end with a pair of Teal.
In the car park several Tree Sparrows, a Common Whitethroat and a Sedge Warbler. From Hanson the Long-tailed Duck, 1 Little Ringed Plover, a singing Reed Warbler, 2 Marsh Harriers and a Sparrowhawk.
In the Willow Trail a Chiffchaff, 2 Cetti's Warblers and 4 Speckled Wood butterfly's.
By the track to the reserve 6 Whimbrel and 2 Marsh Harriers. The car park at the centre was packed, so I drove round to Dengemarsh Road and walked the path round the flooded fields, where little was seen but to more Garganey on Dengemarsh.
Driving back across Walland 2 Marsh Harriers, 2 Common Buzzards, several Tree Sparrows, 4 Corn Buntings and 3 Yellowhammers by the rubbish pile.

No comments:

Post a Comment