Friday 2 March 2012

Gloomy Orlestone

As it was cold foggy morning when I left home I thought I'd try the Orlestone Forest. As I pulled into a gloomy Faggs Wood carpark with out much expectation, CT and BH pulled alongside  and I joined them on a very pleasant walk to try and find the Lesser Spotted Woodpeckers that I saw at the weekend.
As we walked down the track towards Bayland Wood in the gloomy conditions, prospects did not look good with few birds being seen or heard. Having spent a while looking and listening in the area I'd found them we wandered across a nearby field to look at some game cover to no avail. As we got back to the original area we heard the distinctive drumming, after a little more searching CT spotted the Woodpecker high up, alas it quickly moved and although it called and drummed several more times we did not see it again. In the same area 20+ Redwing were seen along with several Treecreepers and Nuthatches, Great, Blue, Coal and Long Tailed Tits also 2 Woodcock.

No comments:

Post a Comment