Monday 5 March 2012

Bittern Over Load





St the south end of the ARC Pit this morning 2 Scandinavian Rock Pipits which unfortunately did not hang around and a red head Smew. Over the road on New Diggings 7 Smew(1 drake) and a Great White Egret. 
Long distance heavily cropped Scandinavian Rock Pipit
 Down at The Point the 2w Glaucous Gull was in the roost. Off shore Gannets were putting on a display close in and a few Great Crested Grebes, Guillemots and Red Throated Divers.
Back at the ARC Pit from Hanson Hide, 4 Magical hours c2 of which I was completely alone in the company of up to 3 Bitterns in the small reed bed to the left of the hide. One of which spent the whole 4 hours wandering round feeding on Sticklebacks and Marsh Frogs coming so close I was unable to focus on it. Even allowing me to take some video with my happy snapper camera. For those who no the hide it was at times feeding under the Brambles to the side of and in front the hide. This afternoon I paid a brief visit to the visitor centre where I saw 2 of 3 Caspian Gulls found by DW, also the Long Tailed Duck. In the pouring rain the Snow Geese were still at Scotney but no sign of the Bewick Swans on Walland but 25 Yellowhammers, 10 Corn Buntings and 40+ Chaffinches on rubbish pile in Tickner's Lane.  












4 comments:

  1. What a great experience Martin, wish I had gone to Dunge instead of Whetsted now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great shots Martin. Seems the Bird wanted to eat your lens at one point.

    Can I ask. Did you use a tripod?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Robin, No all these shots were hand held. I very rarely use a tripod as it is another item to have to carry around.

      Delete
  3. great piccy please keep them coming

    ReplyDelete